Saturday, January 18, 2014

Mostly plumbing

I'm still working on engine installation, but I am making progress.  Having completed the shaft log, I was able to install the stern bearing (or cutlass bearing.)  It finally arrived, but had not been cut down the 1 3/8 inch that I had expected.  No matter, The boatshop's dedicated metal cutting bandsaw (set on slow speed and with a fine tooth blade) made quick work of the bronze casting and the bearing itself.  Jeff helped me press the bearing into the housing. After having chilled the bearing in the freezer for an hour, and lubricated the inner surface, they pressed together easily. 

I inserted a trial shaft through the bearing, through the shaft log, and into the coupling which I had attached to the engine.  I was pretty close to perfect. Had to raise the engine about 3/4 inch, and shift it around a bit, but then the shaft slid easily into the coupling and spun freely.  At that point, I bolted the bearing housing to the back of the skeg, first bedding it in 3M 5200.

Stern bearing in its housing being fitted.  Aperture not yet fully cut.
I determined the approximate position of the prop, which will be 13 inches, 2 blades, and a pitch of 8.  Tim found a used one in his shop, (Down Jersey Marine in Greenwich, New Jersey) and advises that we try it.  If it doesn't perform adequately, we can easily change it.

The circle cut is the top of the aperture. Pencil lines mark the rest of the cut.

Here is the final aperture cut.  It gives me about 1 inch above the blade.

Having installed the stern bearing and located the engine at or close to its final position, I was able to measure and order the shaft, which will need to be milled with a taper and thread at the prop end, and key slots at both ends. Down Jersey will provide the shaft.  

Next I returned to the bilge -- not my favorite place to spend the day. Since the engine is pretty much in its final position, I was able to complete the connection of the raw water hose to the engine intake. 

The exhaust was a trickier proposition.  I installed a Vetus Water Lock, which is supposed to reduce the risk of backflow and also function as a muffler.  It needs to be positioned at least a foot from the exhaust discharge on the engine, and as low as possible in the bilge.  For me, that was about 6 inches forward of the aft bulkhead so that I would have space to bend the hose enough to go through the bulkhead on the port side of my fuel tank.

The Vetus Waterlock in position in the bilge.
I installed the control cables and lever on the port side coaming, so that the cables could run aft, through the bulkhead and loop forward again through the bulkhead and to the engine.  Ten foot Morse (Teleflex) cables were adequate.

One more hole.

The control lever is fairly unobtrusive.
Plumbing the fuel intake was made more difficult by the need to work through the small opening in the aft bulkhead, but otherwise it was not too difficult.  I ran the filler hose up to the side deck on the starboard side, and installed a filler pipe there.  

Fuel filler pipe is clamped to tank, as are the fuel feed and fuel return hoses.
The filler is fairly inconspicuous on the starboard side deck.
I expect to be plumbing for another week or so.  Then, hopefully, I'll have my shaft done and ready to install.  Splash day is still undetermined, but getting frighteningly close.

No comments:

Post a Comment