Monday, January 21, 2013

A Big Day


We welcomed our new arrival this week -- my freshly rebuilt Yanmar 1GM diesel engine.  After a year or two of anguishing over inboard versus outboard, gasoline versus diesel, and new versus used, at least that set of decisions is behind me.  I contacted Tim Silvio, the proprietor of Down Jersey Marine in Greenwich, New Jersey.  Tim had done work previously for the Independence Seaport Museum, where I volunteer in the Workshop on the Water, and he was highly recommended.  He found the perfect engine, no longer available new, at least not in the US, and over the past several months, he has been doing a complete rebuild.  He bored out the cylinder and installed a sleeve, put in new rings and bearings, a new zinc, replaced a bunch of old fittings, and did a thorough cleaning, painting and testing.  

Aside from saving thousands of dollars compared to the cost of a new engine, I am very happy that the 1GM stands only 19 1/2 inches from bottom to top.  While that will not completely eliminate the need to bump up the engine hatch above the level of the cockpit sole, it will minimize the height of the hatch.  I am expecting to have a step of only one or two inches, but we shall see.
My wife was suitably impressed, I think.
Tim does a bit of final tweaking before I take my new baby home.

Two of Down Jersey's team loads the engine in my truck
Back home, I enlisted my son Andrew to help move the beast off the truck.
Off the ramp and onto the dolly.  Once again, Bosco is impressed with my cleverness.
The engine is now sitting beside the boat, while I study up on how one goes about installing an engine in a sailboat.  Tim says it is pretty straightforward (for him, anyway) and that the most important thing is to have an adequately sized exhaust that is directed downward as it leaves the engine.  I printed out the Yanmar operating manual off their site, and shall begin reading and brain picking at the Workshop before taking steps to install it.

In the meanwhile, there is a lot of stuff to do.  I completed the installation of my cabin roof beams, and applied two coats of epoxy to one side of two 1/4 inch okoume panels that will become the inner layer of the cabin roof.  When we have our next good gluing day, I hope to install the panels.  One roof beam, which is an extra half inch thick, captures the compression post.  The post was installed when I put in that beam.
The cabin roof beams and compression post seen from the aft cabin bulkhead.
The starboard side of the companionway hatch support and beam at station 5

I have also been working on the trim for the cockpit coaming, and finished installing them today.  I made them in three pieces:  two 1/2 inch square strips, one inside and the other outside the coaming, glued and clamped flush with the top of the coaming and following the curve, and a 1/2 inc by 1 1/2 inch strip for the top, glued and clamped to the two 1/2 by 1/2 strips and the top edge of the coaming.  I rounded over each of the three strips at the router table before installation. It worked out pretty well, all in all, and now the assembly is just awaiting finishing.
Coaming trim waiting for sealer and varnish. 
I also put my forward hatch cover in place, although I have not screwed it down yet.  Just wanted to see what it looked like.  I am fairly well pleased.
The hatch cover in place on the foredeck.
It is finally time for the companionway trim, which in addition to being decorative, acts as a slide for the companionway door.  I cut out and glued strips of African mahogany (which I am using for all trim.)  When it dries, I will measure for the door sections.
Companionway trim fairly bristling with clamps.

4 comments:

  1. Thats a beutiful little engine Charles. I guess you will know when you've finished reading about installation, but ho do you line it all up? I can only assume you drill the deadwood first as a guide (should have checked previous posts in case you have). PS my wife is very happy with the increase in photos of Bosco's participation. - The Other Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew,
    I haven't fully figured out how to get everything lined up yet. I've seen it done once at the Independence Seaport Museum, but I was not directly involved. In principle, you need to take the angle of the shaft off the plan, and start from the outside. You need a jig to keep the direction and angle correct. It is probably best to start with a small diameter pilot bit, and then widen it out with a boring bar, as it's easier to plug a 1/4 inch mistake than a larger one. I'll post as I figure out more.

    Bosco and I are always pleased to be of assistance, although, being a Dalmatian, he has a very hard time standing still for a picture (or anything else.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allen,
    Thanks for your kind words. While nothing heavy has fallen on me (yet) I understand your emotions. I manage bouts of frustration by walking away for a day, a week, whatever. So far, I have always come back, because for me, the work is generally more fun than frustrating.

    Bosco is one of those great employees who is satisfied with a pat on the head and an occasional complement. On the downside, not having opposable thumbs, he is not very productive in the shop. All in all, in a lifetime of working with two legged colleagues, I have seen better and I have seen worse.

    Good luck with your contemplated boat ownership -- whether building or buying.

    ReplyDelete