Monday, April 11, 2011

Progress long awaited

Finally, a good gluing day, actually a summer-like 84 degrees -- unseasonably warm for us this time of year, but most welcome.  I was prepared for it, having faired in my frames, inner stem and inner stern to the keelson.

I decided to try West System's "six-10" adhesive, which comes in a tube, mixes as you squeeze it out, and has a nice thick consistency.  It seemed perfect for this application, and it certainly saved time.  The only downside is cost.  Although I haven't sat down and figured it out precisely, it will run about twice to three times what it would cost to mix your own, including thickener.  

Here's a shot from the bow showing the stem glued to frame #1 and frame#2, and scarphed to the keelson.  I will fair out the keelson once the glue dries.


That self-admittedly beautiful vessel hanging above the Grey Seal is my Ted Moores 15 foot Hiawatha, my first venture in home boat building, completed about four years ago.  She is obviously trying to tempt me to set aside my project and enjoy a spring paddle through the New Jersey Pine Barrens.  I fully expect to succumb to temptation at least once or twice in the next couple of months.  I have heard it is called "Spring Fever."


For the next couple of weeks, now that my glue job is done, I am joyously weather-independent.  I will place my plywood order and while waiting for its arrival, will fair the stem, stern, frames, and keelson in anticipation of the first plank.








No comments:

Post a Comment